Friday, March 15, 2013

I Miss My Body

During this year's flu season, we opted to stay home from church to help protect Dad from getting ill. We are part of a friendly body and I didn't think he'd make it through the hugs and handshakes without succumbing. I also didn't want to see him getting that sick. So we opted, for a time, to have church at home. And that is the upside of flu season.

 

It's been many years since I had the privilege of sitting under my father's teaching in a "formal" way. He pastored Wilkins Church for many years and I got kind of spoiled by good preaching and teaching.


I suppose you could say that it's been my yardstick ever since. We followed the Standard Lesson Commentary,  just like our Sunday school classes and the sermons at our hometown church were using. That helped us feel connected even when we were apart.
 
 
Our services lasted a bit longer than some might be accustomed to. We were able to ask questions, too, which by necessity isn't typically part of Sunday morning services.
 
 
 
We had sweet communion together as well. It was a very special time for us as a family and I'm glad we had the opportunity to do this.
 

But no matter how much we enjoyed our times of home church, we really missed everyone at our hometown church. Since it would appear that the worst of flu season has run its course, we are excited now to return to worship with our regular church body - we can hardly wait until Sunday!

3 comments:

Red Hen said...

We home churched for quite a while with other families (about 5 families usually). After that ended last year, we spent the flu season home churching here with just us because of my daughter. And yes, those are times of sweet communion. We are back in a traditional church now and enjoy it, too, in a different way. But God is faithful to meet us wherever we find ourselves in whatever season of our lives or whatever our infirmities. I love this post. What a blessing to have a father who can teach!

Red Hen said...

P.S. Responded to you on my blog as well!

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

What pure love and pure blessings! How wonderful that you are able to sit under your father's instruction. We stay home at times when my husband is unable to attend because of his pain being too high.